Sunday, February 24, 2013

Wine Tasting Blog: Line 39 Sauvignon Blanc


This entry is based on my continuing trials of white wines in order to expand my horizons on this color of wine. As I mentioned in my previous blog entry I do not have much experience with tasting white wines, but  I liked the wine in that entry, so here goes number two. This one came recommended by my white-wine-loving girlfriend, and she knows some things, so I gave it a shot. It is a Sauvignon Blanc by Line 39 from Lake County California, 2011. I got it for about $10, so I don't start breaking the bank on wines that I don't know much about yet, seemed like a good idea at the time.

Here is a short review of the wine from wine enthusiast:


Line 39 is a consistently solid name in Lake County Sauvignon Blanc. The 2011 delivers an aromatically inviting, grassy, New Zealand-style wine, with layers of citrus and grapefruit.
Score: 85. —Virginia Boone, December 31, 2012. 

So my second white wine trial did not prove to be as successful as the first to the extent of my beginner knowledge. At first smell, I could not really tell what I was sniffing. It was definitely a citrus smell, and the first thing that came to mind was apricots. This could be completely wrong, but if I had to imagine what apricots smelled like, it'd be like this. The taste was certainly sweet as first but that, as well as any other taste, was over whelmed with acidity. Neither of these tastes for too strong overall, but I'd describe the finish as somewhat tart. The was not a bad tasting experience at all, especially with the price being what it was (I have yet to splurge for any too expensive wines either, so I don't have much room for comparison). I actually paired this wine with Gorgonzola and sun-dried tomatoes  which were alright themselves, but the wine accentuated the taste of the tomatoes pretty noticeably. If I could choose a different food to pair this specific wine with, I would probably go for something seafood based, like scallops or even sushi. So this novice wine drinker would probably recommend it to a friend, again, it's cheap, and enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff! Just keep on tasting and you will become more comfortable with this process.

    ReplyDelete